Contact Us Now 702-385-7411


How to Get a Restraining Order in Nevada

Posted by Charles E. Barnabi | Mar 03, 2017 | 0 Comments

Restraining orders are necessary in order to protect you against someone who wishes to do you harm. In the state of Nevada, restraining orders are considered orders of protection and their purpose is to protect the issuer against violence or a threat of violence.

If you are in fear of what may happen if you do not take serious legal action against the abuser, you have every right to file for a restraining order. While the order is being processed, you will be granted a temporary restraining order, or a TRO. The TRO may be extended in the case of a postponed court date.

The following are the steps to take in order to get a restraining order in the state of Nevada:

  • File a complaint with a courthouse
  • Fill out the necessary forms, detailing the history of threats and/or violence
  • Provide all necessary information about the abuser, including contact info, history of drugs or gun ownership, etc.
  • Describe in detail how the defendant has injured or threatened you, include dates if possible
  • Show the forms to a clerk of court, and then sign the form in front a notary or judge
  • Wait for the judge to review your complaint
  • Attend the full court hearing
  • Testify against the defendant and present evidence
  • If you miss the hearing, the request for a restraining order will be cancelled. If the defendant misses the hearing, you may be issued a default judgement in your favor.


At McDonald Law Offices, PLLC, we are compassionate and understanding of whatever situation you are going through, and our Henderson divorce lawyers will work relentlessly to make sure you are protected against any threats or acts of violence. If you are being stalked, harassed, abused, or otherwise threatened by another party, you have rights and we intend to help keep you safe by carrying out the proper legal action necessary.

To speak to a representative and discuss getting a restraining order in the state of Nevada, call us at 702.850.8004 today.

About the Author


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Need to talk? We really listen.

If you have questions about your case, call us at (702) 381-6590. We would be happy to answer any questions and discuss your legal options at this time. Contact Us Today